Private Yoga Instruction
While yoga classes are fun, create community and offer you the opportunity to learn from and with others, it can be difficult to address your specific needs while practicing in a group. Yoga was traditionally taught by one teacher directly to one student, because the great ancient teachers understood the importance of individualizing each yoga experience. Private yoga sessions offer you the ability to work in that one-on-one style, so I can focus every minute of the session on YOU and your desires for your yoga practice. You can start a new practice, deepen your current practice or spend some time working with an injury or specific goal or concern in a session customized for you.
Why schedule a private session?
1. You are a beginner. New yoga students may be intimidated by the public class environment. In a private yoga session I can focus on you and make sure you are getting off to an appropriate start. I’ll give you a crash course in the basics of yoga, provide a solid foundation for your practice, and, if you choose to try a public class, help you to integrate comfortably into the group setting.
2. You have special health concerns, injuries, or other limitations. Your practice is best when it is customized to your unique anatomy. We’ll spend time working with your concerns, so you will learn how to adapt certain postures, use props, and determine if there are specific poses to avoid when in class to prevent injuries or pain.
3. You have questions about what has been happening on your mat. During a private session, you can ask any question that comes to mind, when it comes to mind, without worrying about interrupting the flow of a class. You can feel free to say “In this pose, I hurt here. Why? How can we change that?” and we can pause to work on it.
4. You have set a specific goal for your practice. If your intention is to improve your performance in another sport or activity, I can suggest poses to strengthen or balance specific muscle groups. If it’s stress or anxiety relief you are looking for, I can guide you through a restorative practice. Whether it’s mental, emotional, spiritual or physical, I can tailor a yoga practice for you designed to help you meet your goal, and provide guidance, support and accountability as you work towards it.
5. There are many styles of yoga to choose from. Based on our discussions and my observations during a private session, I can provide recommendations on what types of yoga may work best for you. I will also help you interpret the descriptions of yoga classes, videos or books you are considering so you can determine if they are a good fit for your practice.
6. You are ready to take your practice to the next level. I will work closely with you, leading you into more challenging poses in a safe and inspiring environment. Together, we can refine your alignment in familiar postures and explore the subtleties of any asanas that you are drawn to. I can help you adapt your practice in response to body changes so you can move quickly through physical plateaus, rekindle your enthusiasm and continue to advance.
7. You would like to develop a home practice. A consistent daily practice benefits your body and mind, but taking a yoga class every day is impossible for most. By working on a few complementary postures in detail each session, you can learn how to sequence a balanced practice you can do on your own anytime.
8. You would like to learn about yoga philosophy or other aspects of yoga. Your private session may be an opportunity to discuss the Yoga Sutras or experience a guided visualization. I can share breathing exercises, aspects of the Chakras and how to work with them, meditation techniques, or the ancient Vedic texts to help you explore all of the branches of yoga.
9. You want to practice at a time other than when most group classes are offered. Would you like to greet the dawn with Sun Salutations? Or explore a late-evening practice to help you sleep? We can schedule your sessions for a time that gives you the practice you desire, or simply to accommodate your work schedule.
10. You can choose the location. Besides the yoga studio, you can enjoy a practice in your living room, on your balcony, in a park, or on the beach. We can meet anywhere there’s room to roll out your yoga mat.